Tuesday 3 January 2017

Rogue One

Recently I saw the new Star Wars movie, Rogue One and if you're worried about spoilers in the upcoming few paragraphs of text then don't worry yourself because I'm not about to do that to you.  I'm just here to share a few thoughts about the movie in general.

Rogue One is a spin off title in the franchise that's set between episode 3 and 4 and follows the adventures of Jin and her struggle to get the plans for the Death Star.  I know I mentioned spoilers before but if you can't predict just how the movie will end from just the synopsis then you're a bit of an idiot.

Anyway let me start by talking about something that I didn't like about the movie which is the first handful of minutes of its run time.  You get sort of an information dump with the movie switching between many different people, places and even throwing in a handful of flashbacks.  It introduces almost all the characters and locations straight away and for me personally this was a little much.  I found myself getting confused as to who was who and where they were and what they were doing.  Eventually though the movie stopped dumping information into my face and after that it was a highly enjoyable experience all the way to the end.

Everything about this movie is pretty much on point.  The acting, special effects, set piece moments are all really good with one of my personal favorites being a blind Donny Yen beating this shit out of a bunch of dudes with a stick.  It's the sort of fight choreography that I don't think we've seen in a Star Wars movie before so it was pretty cool to see.  Although while the ground combat is entertaining to watch, I can't help but feel that it's the space battles where the movie really shines and there's a certain scene involving a star destroyer that had me grinning ear to ear like some kind of school boy.

Now I'm no Star Wars fanatic.  While I think these movies are very good I'm not quite as clued up on the universe as many other fans I feel.  That said, sitting next to two people in a bar who are HUGE fans and listening to them gush about this film should be a good indication that it's worth seeing.  Even if you aren't much of a Star Wars fan it's worth going to see and you won't have to worry about being lost with what's going on because it's a prequel to the good trilogy so you're coming in right at the start technically speaking.

Now maybe with the success of these movies we can get another Rogue Squadron game because they were pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment