Saturday 24 September 2016

That One Unbeatable Game

I think anyone who has played video games for a significant amount of time ends up having a game like this.  That one game that sits in your collection that isn't shit by any means but for some reason you just can't bring yourself to beat it.  Every so often you'll go back to it, start a fresh file and have some fun with it but then things start to go wrong and you end up shelving it for another couple of years again.

For me, this game is Kings Bounty: The Legend.  It's a strategy RPG where you have to ride around the world on your horse, building up an army and doing quests.  It plays sort of similarly to Heroes of Might and Magic but instead of building up a town and recruiting monsters that way you have to travel around the game world buying them from limited stockpiles.  This is a game that I always end up playing for a while, and then giving up because I always feel like I'm under powered and destined to fail the challenges ahead.

You ask your friends what their unbeatable game is and I'm sure they'll have at least one, for example I have a friend who attempts Vagrant Story every couple of years only to have it beat him down and then it gets shelved until the next time.  You may not even be bad at the genre that the game is in, it's just that ONE title that gets you every time.

Right now I'm attempting Kings Bounty: The Legend yet again although I'm already lacking in my own confidence to finish it.  Maybe this will be the run!  If you have a game like this then I suggest you go play it right now, go and dust it off and give it another go.  That game will always come off the shelf every few years because you just can't let that bastard win.

No comments:

Post a Comment