Sunday 15 November 2015

Giving Fallout 4 a Chance

I'm not a fan of modern Fallout, I'm just going to get that out there right now.  They aren't awful games by any stretch and I can definitely see the appeal but I'm one of these people who really enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2 so much that playing these modern ones in first person feels wrong to me.  I could explain in detail everything I hate about the new style but that would be an entire post on its own so I'll save that for later.

But Fallout 4 has been released to a great amount of praise and people seem to be having a good time with it.  Of course, my initial reaction was to roll my eyes and just brand it as another shit dumbing down of the Fallout series but after some thought I decided maybe I should give this game a chance.

OK, so maybe I've already seen a pretty excessive amount of bullshit regarding this game.  I've seen multiple gifs, pictures, videos and other stuff showcasing all sorts of bugs, glitches and other bullshit.  People let this slide because "the game is huge" or because "it's a Bethesda game" but this is a bunch of shit because if we had problems like this in any other title people would be OUTRAGED.  Other things that piss me off include dialogue trees that only contain 4 options (and no I don't give a fuck if you get special ones based on skills from time to time) and luck that affects "the recharge rate of critical hits" just to name a few.

But despite that I'm going to give in an honest go.  BUT FIRST I'm going to go back and I'm going to replay 1,2, Tactics, 3 and New Vegas before touching this game.  I'm going to do this for 2 reasons; first because it's been a long time since I played any of the classic ones and I want to make sure my knowledge of the Fallout universe is up to par when I start nitpicking story points and the second is the judge the series from a game play standpoint so I can say with complete confidence that it's been significantly dumbed down since the first game.  Oh also a price drop, because fuck paying full price for anything.

So I'm gonna kick back, jump into the post apocalyptic world of Fallout and make sure that I'm not just slagging off the latest entry because of my rose tinted nostalgia-goggles.  If my suspicions are correct I should be having a blast for at least 2 games worth of my time.  Here's to hoping that all my FO4 bitching is wrong and it ends up being amazing but I highly doubt it


No comments:

Post a Comment