Sunday 28 June 2015

"PC Master Race"

I'm a big fan of PC gaming, especially now that digital distribution is now a big thing.  Back in the day you could make an argument for console gaming being the better route to take because getting something to run wasn't so involved and hair pullingly annoying but today that argument doesn't hold any water and it's just as easy. 

So there's a little joke on the internet which you could call "PC Master Race".  It's basically PC gamers taking a stab at people who play exclusively on consoles, claiming that console gaming is much simpler and PC is where all the real players go to show their skills.  Most people, I think, are aware that's its just another net joke but I have seen people take that shit a little too seriously but I don't really get why they feel so high and mighty when PC can cause a lot of uneeded headaches.

A recent example of these headaches came with Batman: Arkham Knight.  Apparently it's a really good game, I wouldn't know because I've not played it yet but the PC gaming audience is not quite having as much fun as the console crowd here.  Reports are saying that the PC version is just atrociously bad, to the point where it's unplayable.  I'm not sure of the specifics but I'm sure a quick google search would give you the lo-down.  It's so bad that if you look at the Steam page for the game you find this.

 Guess the console crowd are laughing here because while you're stuck with an unplayable game they are having a great time.  I'm sure the issue will be resolved but it's sad that shit like this even happens at all.

Another example that's a little more personal is my experience with Silent Hill: Homecoming.  Now I hate this fucking game but someone gifted it to me on Steam (shout outs to PTDave!) so that I could speed run it.  Now I'm a man of my word so despite my hatred for the game, I'm going to try and learn to run it to at least a semi-decent level.  Or at least that's what I'd be doing if the thing fucking worked AT ALL.

The PC version of Silent Hill: Homecoming is one of the most horrendously unstable things I've ever seen in my life.  It crashes when you start it, crashes when you save, crashes when you change areas, pick up items and basically do fucking anything at all.  Then, I don't know if this is just me or the shitty game, whenever a cut scene plays the frame rate just drops to something embarrassingly low which is weird considering I've stream newer games than this without any problems.


So yeah, "PC Master Race" my ass.  These are just two examples but I have plenty of stories ranging from when I was a child to the present day of PC gaming just giving me a massive headache.  Luckily, I'm persistent and know how to use Google so I usually figure most issues out but the fact I have to do any of that shit at all is frustrating.  At least with my consoles I can just put the game in and fucking play it.  Still, like I said at the start, I love PC gaming and really I wouldn't have it any other way but that joke is fucking dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment