Wednesday 8 April 2015

Whats Wrong With Game Music?

While this isn't a thing that happens all that much to me anymore, it used to and it always confused me.

So up until about my early 20s, if people found out that I listened to tracks from video games they would raise an eyebrow and be like "really?  that's super nerdy and not cool at all, you should listen to something else"  This eventually faded out as the number of twats surrounding me started to dwindle but it does still happen although rather rarely.

I just never really understood that logic or way of thinking, as if music somehow loses its validity just by being featured in a video game.  Of course, in 2015 there are big name groups doing sounds or soundtracks for games so do those songs suddenly become "too nerdy" to listen to.  I'm the musician behind the game track put in just as much effort or maybe even more than the professional artist recording an album,

I like me a bit of everything when it comes to music, there isn't one genre I really point to and say "this is my main shit" because my playlists change so damn often and usually contain a little something from every genre.  Judging someone based on their musical tastes is a fucking retarded thing to do and it's the kind of thing I thought would stop by the time I hit 25 but I still see it today albeit very rarely.

If you want to stand there and argue with me that a bunch of stupid twatsockets such as One Direction make better music than let's say....this

Then you are quite obviously a huge foghorning idiot.  Don't get me wrong though, I'm not anti-mainstream stuff and I do find myself looking up tracks from my wife's iPod but claiming that one piece of music becomes less valid because it was used in a game rather than for a top of the pops chart is retarded.

Luckily we live in an age now where it's not THAT weird and video game music is quite often celebrated.  Hell I've played games where footage from live concerts for that game are included as bonus material.  You just do your thing and I'll do mine.  If you want to listen to pop chart twat du jour then that's cool but don't get all judgemental when the Megaman X soundtrack starts coming out of my speakers 

No comments:

Post a Comment