Monday 5 January 2015

The Japanese Lucky Bag (Game Edition)

Well, my New Year Holiday is officially over and I topped it off by purchasing myself a "lucky bag" from one of my local retro shops!

First of all I better tell you what these things are.  In Japan a lot of stores do huge new year sales and as part of that sale they may provide a lucky bag.  A lucky bag is a sealed off bag of goodies and you're not allowed to see whats in them.  I think the idea is that in every few bags the stores will put in something REALLY good, so if you're lucky then you'll get something pretty pricy for a bit less, don't quote me on that though.

Most of the stores that provide lucky bags are clothes or cosmetics shops, but I'm not interested in that shit so I wandered into my local retro stores and found one that contained games.  The bag I bought cost 2000 yen and contained 20 SNES games!  Sounds like a good deal right?

Wrong....kinda...

While I did get some good games like Final Fantasy 5 and Populous, the majority of games I received were complete trash.  Without naming the good ones I got 3 football games, 2 baseball games, 1 tennis, 1 basketball, 1 wrestling, 1 shogi, 1 panchinko, 1 slot game and a horse racing game.

So my lucky bag wasn't so lucky, but 2000 yen isn't a lot of money and there was a nice feeling of excitement as I took it home.  There was one other bag in another store that cost 15 yen more but it only had 10 games.  However the store told you what games you could get and they were all pretty good.  I didn't pick that one because I owned most of the games in the pool and I thought it would be more fun if it was a complete mystery.

Maybe next year I'll get something better

No comments:

Post a Comment