Monday 23 June 2014

The Most Bullshit Game Mechanics I've Ever Seen

Recently I've been working my way though a huge backlog of DS games that I've had since I first got the damn thing and this has now resulted in me playing the above piece of shit.

I call it a piece of shit because I'm about an hour in and already it's found a few ways to REALLY irritate me, but I'm going to give it more of a chance before it write it off completely.  I thought I'd just take a moment to describe two mechanics in this game that are SO STUPID that they give me headaches.

1) Experience/Items

This is the first thing that I noticed and I can't help feel like the mechanic was introduced just to pad out the game.  When you are walking around the map you can change between a combat mode and a "virtue" mode.  When you are in combat mode you earn 0 EXP but gain items that you can sell and whatnot to earn gold and when you are in virtue mode you gain EXP and no items.

This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen because now it means I have to do everything twice and it pretty much guarantees the fact that I have to grind.  I have to fight all the monsters once in Combat Mode to get all the items and equipment I need and then AGAIN in virtue mode to make sure I'm a high enough level to fight whatever monsters are coming at me next.

Why can't the games just give me items and exp together?! Why do I gotta do all this crap?

But that's not the dumbest shit, the dumbest shit is....

2) Running

The reason why the running mechanic is so bullshit can be summed up in a short sentence.

RUNNING DRAINS YOUR FUCKING HEALTH

Running is something that most people want to be doing in RPGs.  The walk speed of a RPG protagonist is like someone trying to run the marathon while having concrete shoes on after being shot in the knees with Dirty Harry's Magnum.  I can't think of a single RPG where I haven't just slammed on the run button and never let go.

But not in this game, running slowly ticks down your HP so you really don't want to be doing too much of that.  To make matters worse, the walk speed of the characters feels EVEN SLOWER than your average RPG protagonists so it's even more bullshit.  I'm getting pissed off just wandering around the first fucking area of the game, I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I get into some bigger areas/dungeons.

So if I want to run around, that means I have to spend MORE time grinding out items so I have the money to buy recovery shit (because MP costs on heal spells are also stupidly high for no reason) and I have a feeling that by the time I do the first significant event I'm going to be about 8 hours in.

That's it, 2 of the dumbest things I've even seen in a video game

But I'm not giving up on Lunar Genesis
I'm not letting this shit beat me!

No comments:

Post a Comment