Monday 26 May 2014

Dark Souls 2 First Impressions

I'm a little late to the grand party that is Dark Souls 2 but with a few hours played and a couple of dead bosses behind me I think I just want to spend a moment laying down my thoughts on the first hour or two of the game.

I was having some trouble with the opening cut scene but I think the story so far is a little weak.  From what I can tell you're just some guy who goes to some place for some reason and you have to go visit some king or something.  I'm sure as I get into the meat of the plot it'll end up being a lot better than that but I feel like I lack a sense of direction right now.   Still, with a big open ended adventure like this that kind of works in the games favor.

The game play basically remains unchained from Dark Souls but they added a few mechanics from Demon's Souls back in the mixer which made me really happy.  For example, dying makes you lose a little part of your maximum HP so now death feels like it has some kind of consequence while in the Dark Souls it was a mere annoyance for making a mistake. 

I remember being getting quite worried when a developer or something said that they were going to make it more accessible, and I can see what they mean by that but it doesn't ruin the game or anything.  They've opened the gates a bit wider for the new players without pissing off the core fans which is something I have to applaud them for.

Also I seem to recall everyone having a big old moan about the graphics but I don't really see why.  Maybe I'm just not all that fussy about things like floor textures but to me the game looks rather good.  The environments are interesting, the monsters are cool and it has that same Souls atmosphere that I've come to know and love.

It's not every day that I'm THIS happy with a big popular title like this, so if anyone was on the fence about Dark Souls 2 I suggest they get off it and join the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment