Monday 10 March 2014

One Way Heroics

What the fuck is this, Year of the Rougelike?  So many fucking rougelikes popping up in my steam client I don't know which ones to buy first.  Keeping that in mind, I did the most logical thing and started with the one I got for free on Steam via my steam wallet and my god am I glad I did.

One way heroics is a game developed by Smoking WOLF and I know very little about this person/these people so I can't comment on any other their works.  However, One Way Heroics is an amazing little rougelike that is simple on the surface yet contains a surprising amount of depth.

The story involves your hero on a quest to kill some kind of dark lord but as you adventure through the land, the left hand side of the planet is being swallowed by the abyss.  Therefore you can't stop for too long to level up and gather equipment, you gotta haul ass and carefully plan your route to maximise EXP gain and item acquirement.

At the start of the game you have to choose a name, a class (of which there are about 6 or 7 if I remember correctly) and a few perks.  After you're done creating your little doomed avatar, you have to choose a world.  You can choose the world that you played previously or you can have the game generate you a random new one, but on top of that you can type in a string of letters to have the game generate a world OR you can choose one of the special worlds that change daily.

When you win (or die, which is more likely) you are given a stats screen to tell you just how well you did that's broken down into easy to understand parameters and based on these results you are given points.  With these points you can expand an interdimensional box that allows you to transfer items from a dead character to a new one OR you can use the points to unlock new features such as classes or perks.  As you start winning you begin to unlock things like different difficulty modes, which turns a rather pleasant rougelike into a gruelling challenge that will really test your skill and luck.

The game also features an online element where you can enter a dimension with other players and you are able to see how far they got or what they died to and I think this is to help you plan ahead, but I just like laughing at the people who get killed early on because I'm a bit of a bastard.

With a game this good you'd expect it to be expensive right?  Well wrong, it's one of the cheapest things I've ever seen coming in at a mere $3.50 on Steam and $1.99 if you get it off a website called Playism.  So really you have no excuse NOT to check it out.  It's a great game, a good way to kill some time if you're busy yet has enough depth to sink hours and hours into if you're that kind of player.



No comments:

Post a Comment