Thursday 9 January 2014

Shaq-Fu 2!....and January Marathon!

Now I'm no fan of Basketball, I barely know anything about the pro scene but I am aware of who Shaq is.  You don't really have to be into Basketball at all to know who this guy is, he's a pretty well known guy both in and out of basketball.

If you're into video games and you have an interest in retro stuff or you have just been gaming as long as I have, you are probably aware of the above game.  If you're not, then let me reassure you that the picture at the top of this post isn't a terrible photoshop, it's a real game that was released for the Super Nintendo in 1994.

It's actually pretty famous, but not the good kind of famous.  It's a fighting game but it has an absolute ass backwards plot about Shaq where he gets sucked through a portal to another dimension and has to fight dudes to rescue someone or something.  But who cares about plot in fighting games right? well you're still out of luck because the gameplay is ATROCIOUS.  The sprites animate quite well but it's hard to control and the fighting just feels clunky and bad.

This game is SO hated that there is a website dedicated to buying every copy of it that exists and destroying it.  Well these guys might just have heart attacks after hearing what I'm about to tell you about.

Today while browsing the net I came across this article.

http://gamerfitnation.com/2014/01/ces-2014-shaq-confirms-shaq-fu-2-coming-soon/

In that link there is a video of a guy talking to Shaq, and he jokingly asks a question about a Shaq-Fu 2.  The response is "yeah it's comin' out, the graphics is CRAZY"

Now at first I thought he was just messing with the guy, just playing along with the gag.  I mean c'mon, the idea of Shaq-Fu of all goddamn games getting a sequel can't be true.  But just for curiosities sake I googled it, and found this.

http://pixelenemy.com/shaq-fu-2-rumours-fly-after-trademark-filed/

That is a little post about how a trademark was filed for a "Shaq Fighter" video game.  Keep in mind that this was posted in May of last year, and now the man himself is saying its a thing, I don't know if I should take him seriously or not.

Well, this is all just rumours after all, but I'd LOVE to see a Shaq-Fu 2.  Can you imagine, if this thing actually gets made and it ends up being good?  Maybe even so good that it starts getting played at EVO and garners a huge competitive following?! Just think about that.

Still, it doesn't matter if it's true or not because a video of Shaq hyping a sequel to his game that may or may not exist put a big grin on my face this morning, the concept is just mind blowing.

So what does this news have to do with the January stream marathon?

It's not quite Shaq, but it's a game I've not played that's apparently really good despite how silly it sounds, and it's basketball themed so I think now is a good time to play it!  The provisional date for the marathon will be Monday 20th of January! I'll post something closer to the time to confirm!


No comments:

Post a Comment