Thursday 27 June 2013

A Stroke of Pub Genius

I'm the kind of person who occasionally likes to go down to a pub and have a drink or two with a few buddies when I get the chance, I think that's great.  That said, I'm not the kind of person who is into things like football (English football) or anything like that, I'm not all that much of a sportsman really.

So sometimes when I go down to the pub, nothing spoils it for me more than football being played so loud on a big projector with people yelling so loud that it's impossible to have a conversation.  That said though I'm not the kind of twat who complains, I get that people like to do that but it just spoils the whole pub thing for me.

So in London, some absolute genius had the idea of setting up a gaming bar.  It's basically like a pub but with computers in it and they show stuff like Starcraft 2 instead of football.  This is great because if people are yelling over Starcraft and I can't have a conversation, at least I have something that I'm interested in to look at.

The other nice thing about this bar is that its very existence sort of dispels the myth of all people who enjoy games being anti social uber nerds which while not as widespread a view as it used to be, still exists, and that's sad.

It's not the only one too, off the top of my head I think there is one in Manchester (UK) called the Kyoto Lounge, but on account of not being in Manchester for a long long time, I've not been to it so I don't know if it's quite the same thing as the Meltdown bar, but I've heard about them showing Starcraft tournaments, so that's cool.

So if you live in London or Manchester, or if you have something similar in your area, had down and wet your whistle and support this shit.  It's a great idea and it would be a damn shame if these efforts went under.

No comments:

Post a Comment