Monday 10 December 2012

Regarding Concerns for Dark Souls 2

Well spank my ass and call me Nancy! Just as I'm gushing hard over Dark Souls, a sequel gets announced.  I'm not usually one for jumping on hype, but for this, I have premium seats on the hype express.

Well I didn't watch the VGA, I don't need a bunch of people telling me what the game of the year is (and Walking Dead getting it is BULLSHIT, not because it's bad, but that's another story for another time) because I already know what my personal game of the year is but it's pretty much irrelevant because every ones GOTY is going to be different. 

Getting to the point though, I've seen a number of concerns being raised over this game, people feeling doubtful that it'll be able to capture the same hair pulling yet satisfying magic the first one did, but to be completely honest with you, I'm 90% sure that it won't turn out disappointing.  Of course, until we see some proper game play all we can do is speculate, but given the quality of games that come out of From Software, we can expect something at least half way good even if it doesn't quite stack up to the original.

The big concern that I noticed got some alarm bells ringing comes from a quote from one of the developers that said "Dark Souls 2 will be more understandable and straightforward"

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dark-Souls-2-More-Understandable-Straightforward-50227.html

But I don't think we really need to worry, "straightforward" and "understandable" does not translate to "easy" and the concerns over the game being made easier I think are people reading too much into something that hasn't been said.  Sure, maybe some of the stuff that was fun for Dark Souls vets to figure out will no longer be as cryptic, which is a shame but the core difficulty will hopefully still be there.

So ride the hype train all the way to release day for this one, and I'm praying that it doesn't derail before we reach that day, because if Dark Souls 2 is shit then I don't think my poor old heart could take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment