Wednesday 7 November 2012

The Outlast Extended Trailer

A while ago I did a little post about how excited I was for the new Outlast game that is being developed by Red Barrels, well, since then there has been an extended trailer for it, if you want to take a look, you can do so here.

Well I was pretty hyped for it before but since watching this trailer, a few of my hopes have been put down.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm still excited, but not as excited as I was before and I'll tell you why.

First, it really does just look like Mirrors Edge. If you watch the trailer you have parkour-esque sliding over desks and it even has that little effect where you can see the hands moving back and forth in the characters periphery.  There is nothing wrong with this, Mirrors Edge was a good game, but I don't think this style of gameplay works in this genre, you need time to take in the atmosphere rather than just frantically run through everything.

Second, it appears to be full of jump scares, and I fucking hate jump scares.  This is what really kills games like Dead Space for me, because having things jump out at you and scream is not scary, its just shocking, it makes you jump for a moment and you feel like an idiot, but after that there isn't much else and doing it over and over kills the effect. I wont talk about this part much more because I'd rather talk about what makes scary games, scary in a future post, but jump scares are no good!

Finally the plot, I don't like it.  I'm no expert writer but I'm sure they could come up with something better than "criminal insane nut jobs go on a killing spree in an asylum".  I mean it's not a bad premise but it's so fucking stock, at least try to push the boat out a little bit.

But I'm being overly critical in this post, I still have high hopes for the game itself being good, just any hopes of it being a scary one are gone.  That said, I'm still excited and I'm looking forward to seeing some gameplay, and maybe being proved wrong on stuff I said above, that would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment