Saturday 17 November 2012

That feeling of satisfaction

You know, I was going to use this post to complain about how bullshit some bosses can be in certain video games, but after I took the picture to complain with I won, so I'm gonna talk about this instead!

The super hard Empire Strikes Back playthrough continues, and just as I'm starting to get frustrated at the Cloud City boss, I go and pull a win right out of my arse.  This reminded me of one of the reasons I love playing games so damn much, and it's that feeling of satisfaction you get when you finally overcome something that felt previously impossible.

Sure, it's face meltingly frustrating to have to do the same part for hours and hours (or in the case of this stage, days) but when you finally do it, you feel like king of the goddamn world.  It's a feeling that I've not had for a long time with modern games being a lot easier than they used to be, which is a shame but I understand why it's happened.  There are a number of reasons but the main one I think, is that it's just not profitable to make super hard games anymore.  There is a majority of people today who don't want to actually have to try, or think, or use strategy, they just want something fun to whittle the hours away with, and it's these people that companies are making games for.

It's sort of a shame that this seems to be the case, but at least it opens up the medium a bit.  So if you're getting tired of the easefests, fire up something retro, get that passion for clearing a challenge back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment