Thursday 18 October 2012

The Outlast Teaser Trailer

Since Halloween is getting pretty damn close now, let's talk about some scary fuckin' games, and what better way to start than with a brand new scary fuckin' game that I just saw the teaser trailer for!

So this is a game called Outlast, being developed as we speak by a bunch of guys at the new company Red Barrels.  This will be their first game as far as I'm aware, and if you go check out the website and look at the team, they have some really good talent in their ranks.  These guys have all had a part working on some kind of big game or for some kind of big company so the skills on display here are top notch.

So, before we continue, watch the trailer

Now, after watching that my brain is saying 2 things.  One half of me is saying "wow, it sort of reminds me of Mirrors Edge in a way, but as a horror game", and that's pretty cool.  Despite what anyone said about Mirrors Edge, I really fucking liked that game, so if you can wrap that kind of gameplay in a nice warm blanket of horror, it could be really good.

But then the other half of my brain is going "This is going to fucking suck.....", and that is because if you watch the trailer, you may realise that the character spends the entire trailer running away from the scary things.  Now, what was the last game that had you running away from the scary things as it's main game mechanic......

......yeah, remember how AWESOME Shattered Memories was.....no, you don't because it sucked ASS (still better than Homecoming though)

Despite saying that, I do imagine the guys at Red Barrels will be able to make this kind of gameplay enjoyable.  Hell, a game like Catherine is essentially running away from the big nasty but look at how awesome that is.  Either that, or I'm just making assumptions from the trailer that aren't true, and when we see more I'm promptly going to shut my gob about the game potentially sucking.

So keep an eye on this one people, it looks like it might be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment