Thursday 4 October 2012

Resident Evil 6, What The Hell?!

I love me some Resident Evil, but never have I seen a game have such polarising scores across so many different websites before.

So I'm going to make one thing clear, I have not yet played this game, so this isn't a review, this is merely speculation from a fan after seeing all the crap that's being thrown around.

After watching a review and scouring youtube for some gameplay footage, to me, this game looks pretty bad.  It's not completely bad, but from what I've seen it has QTE's and cutscenes coming out the arse which is already a bad sign, but what really makes it look bad is the vastly different gameplay styles between the 4 campaigns. 

Note: I don't think games with cutscenes are bad, it looks like RE6 has a few too many though

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the game follows 4 different lead characters, and each lead has a different style of gameplay.  For example, Leon's campaign is more survival horrorish, which Chris's is a bit more RE5 style military shooter type thing.  The problem with this is that it looks like the game has spread itself too thin and delivers 4 mediocre experiences rather than just 1 really fucking good one.

But that's just how it looks to me, a couple of publications have given it really good scores, and a couple have given it really bad ones.  The user scores on Metacritic are something like 0.4 but I wouldn't say that they were the most reliable things in the world to be honest with you.

I'm still going to pick it up (and Racoon City, even though I know it's pretty bad) and judge it for myself, I'm not one for blindly trusting scores on the big websites, but after seeing some gameplay footage and reading the reviews, the excitement is all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment