Tuesday 16 October 2012

A look back at Borderlands

A while ago Borderlands 2 came out, but I can't play it because of silly Japan release dates on Steam, and I'm too lazy to get myself a VPN to play it early, so I thought I'd just go replay the first one instead. 

Borderlands is a game I played the shit out of back when it launched, and then beat it and never touched it again, so part of the reason I came back to it was because I'd forgotten what most of it was even like.  I also blasted through most of it so I wanted to go back and see if there was any cool Borderlands lore that I'd missed out on.

Well admittedly in this playthrough I'm not that far but so far there is basically no big juicy bits of lore to discover, just the main plot of "find the fault etc etc."  But the game itself, despite being World of Warcraft in space with more guns, is still really enjoyable.  Plus the co-op feature in this game is something that makes it even more enjoyable, although I've not had a chance to drop on some co-op with a buddy in this run yet.

RIVETING STUFF
One thing I still really like about this game is the way it looks just in general.  I really like the HUD and the design for the major characters like Ned or the 4 player characters.  The world is a little bland and the enemies are a bit samey where I am so far, but exploring is still fun, and I'm a big sucker for games with plenty of nooks and crannys for me to get into.  Also when I played Borderlands at release, I was on Xbox360 (due to shit PC) and never bothered with any of the DLC, so with the PC version that I got on the cheap (thanks steam!) I can now go experience all that extra goodness I missed out on.

Also, before I stop doing this post and go play it some more, fucking look at this.
I actually can't think of all that many games that I have played that do that with sniper scopes, it's pretty good. So the first Borderlands game still holds up pretty well I think, it'll be interesting to compare it to the second one once I eventually get to play the fucking thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment