Thursday 6 September 2012

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo

Think of this post as a sort of "set up" post for the next Saturn month video I'll be doing.  So next on the list is a game that is not only one of my favourite puzzle games ever, but my mothers favourite game of all time.

This game was brought over to the Sony Playstation and was fairly recently put into HD on the Xbox Live Arcade with online multiplayer (which is pretty much dead last time I tried)  For anyone who doesn't know what it is, it's a block matching puzzle game where you have to line up matching colours and then smash them with a circular gem.  What made the game different from any other puzzle game I played at the time, was the fact that you could select one of about 10 Street Fighter or Darkstalker characters to fight in the middle.

Each character had a unique "drop" pattern, so when you smashed blocks, you would send solid blocks to your opponent that would take a number of drops to turn into normal gems.  The more blocks you smashed, the flashier the move would be.  A few blocks would cause your character to taunt, a good amount would make them do a special, and smashing a shit ton of blocks made them do an ultra.

The game is fast paced, fun as shit and really flashy.  What people who only bought the XBLA version may not know, was something called the "Street Battle Mode" which was a series of challenges that you had to clear against stupidly hard opponents.  Still, in place of that, we got online mode, where I was getting my ass kicked every time by stupidly hard opponents, so it was quite similar really.

I was never amazing at this game, and I'm not nearly as good as I used to be, but there will be a video on this game fairly soon.  I have plans for the next few days, so I'll release the video about around Sunday or Monday, so keep an eye out.  If you like puzzle games and street fighter, you'll LOVE this

1 comment: