Saturday 29 September 2012

Movie Review: Helter Skelter

On Monday I'm going to the nearest cinema to go and watch the new Bourne movie, but then I remembered that I've seen a couple of other films and not mentioned them here.  So with the heavy rain putting a delay on my shopping trip, I thought now would be a good time to talk about some movies.

Despite Helter Skelter being what you would essentially call a "chick flick", I still found it pretty entertaining.  It's about this woman who is the most popular model in Japan, basically everyone thinks she is the prettiest woman in the country.  In order to keep up with this image of being #1 beauty idol, she starts taking surgery to keep her looks up, but as a result of the surgery's side effects, she starts to spiral into depression and the movie is essentially a big montage of her life getting fucked up.

When I watched this film, it was completely in Japanese, none of this fan subbing stuff, it was all in a cinema, so there is a chance I may have missed some stuff in the dialogue, but despite that I still thought it was a fun movie.  The acting was solid, the story was interesting and the set design was pretty fucking spectacular.  If you're not interesting in watching someone spiral into madness and depression, at least there are plenty of attractive women bouncing around in lingerie to keep you happy, so even if you get forced to watch it you'll at least get something out of it.

However, the movie is based off a Manga which I previously had never heard of or read, so I can't comment on if the original manga version is better than the big screen adaptation, maybe one day I'll go give it a read and comment.

Despite the spoilers for the whole movie are in the fucking title, it's actually pretty good and I'd recommend this if you can download it or buy it on DVD or something.  I'm not sure about availability of this in other countries, but I'm sure you could find it somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment