Wednesday 12 September 2012

Castlevania Series Run: Symphony of the Night Opening Sequence

I bet everyone forgot that I was playing through the entire castlevania series didn't they?!  Well I sure as hell didn't, so today I started playing Symphony of the Night again.  This is only gonna be a short one, since I just started playing and I should be getting ready for work right now.

It's been a long time since I last played Symphony, and the reason I'm making a quick post about it is after playing for about 30 minutes or so, this game, has one of the best openings of any game I've ever played.

The game starts with the final battle from Rondo of Blood, and once you've done that, it gives you a scrolling text screen that tells you the story, but it ends with "No man can say who will emerge victorious"

I mean good god, that's fucking genius.  I find that when I play more recent games, it never feels like I'm doing anything particularly impressive, like I'm guaranteed to win by virtue of being the main character.  In this game though, it really feels like you're going up against something that's probably going to kick your ass, or at least give you a damn hard time.

Then you get this section

Just running through corridors one shotting monsters twice the size of you, god it feels so good!  Then Death shows up and steals all your awesome shit, and the game starts good and proper.  But this game does an amazing job of hyping you up for everything to come AND it makes you want to get revenge on the prick that took all your shit.

There is a reason this game is regarded as such a classic, and this is one of em!


No comments:

Post a Comment