Monday 6 August 2012

The World Cosplay Summit

Well before I went and got sick, I went down to the World Cosplay Summit in Nagoya to go check out what all the hubub was about.

The truth of the matter is, I don't really like anime all that much, I find a great deal of the shows annoying and generally speaking, the vast majority of programs are more about fanservice than delivering any sort of decent plot.

That's not to say I hate all anime, if anyone is interested I do enjoy shows such as Akagi (because I love mahjong, not for the grimdark edgy character) and Kaiji, but a genuinely good show is hard to come across.

That said, this was one of the most impressive displays of fandom I've ever seen.  People roll up from all over the place dressed as their favourite characters, and they spend their day being photographed by people who cant be arsed.

It was actually a lot of fun to be at though, the costumes were impressive and they had a stage where they were hosting fun little shows and stuff, the atmosphere was pretty nice.  The cosplayers themselves are by no means shy either, you can easily flag down your favourite character and get a snap with them, they love the recognition for that costume they sunk so many hours into.

If anyone is thinking to themselves at this point "oh well its just a bunch of sad nerds dressing up, it couldn't have been that good..." well you're fucking WRONG! check this shit out!

Look at that turnout! holy shit!  Doesn't matter what age, colour or gender you are, if you love dressing up as anime characters, anyone is more than welcome to drop on.

Well there isn't really much else to say, this kind of thing is really something you have to experience for yourself, but allow me to give you the short version in the form of a single picture
I fucking love this place


No comments:

Post a Comment