Wednesday 1 August 2012

The Dark Knight Rises (Spoiler Free Review)

Well today I popped down into central Nagoya and I saw The Dark Knight Rises, the third and final movie in the Christopher Nolan Batman series.  To sum up what I thought about this movie in a few words, I thought it was very VERY good.  I enjoyed it a lot and I would happily watch it again but I don't quite think everyone will take to it like I did.

Before I continue, the reason I specified this as a spoiler free review was because I have a lot of things to say, but can't really discuss them without spoiling some stuff, so just in case, I'm doing a spoiler free version now, and then a more detailed review next week or something.

So let's talk about the good things in this movie first!  It's an extremely well shot movie and the set pieces and character design are fantastic.  On top of this, all the actors involved put out really strong performances, most notably Tom Hardy as Bane, who was an absolute joy to watch.  The story, despite my spoilerific nitpicks is also one of this movies extreme strongpoints.  There is an actual character arc here with a clearly defined ending and Nolan did an overall good job of providing some development of the Batman character.  Like I said, it's quite hard to go into any real details without spoiling things, so wait for the detailed version later.

Although the one big problem I can point out here without ruining anything, is that this is NOT (I REPEAT! NOT!) a Batman movie.  If you're expecting to sit down and watch Batman wreck some shit, you're going to be extremely disappointed.  This is a character movie about Bruce Wayne and other members of the cast and it does an amazing job of providing some depth to these characters.  I feel it's kind of a shame because I know this movie is going to be lost on some people who were expecting a straight up action flick.  Going into this film with the right mindset is key here, but I think pretty much everyone will find at least one thing to like about this movie.

Before I wrap up this post, I saw the trailer for the Total Recall remake, hyped as fuck! Hope it's gon' be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment