Sunday 1 July 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman Movie Review

Well I know I said I'd talk about video games but I do enjoy watching movies just as much and I saw "Snow White and the Huntsman" today so I figure why not do something a little different.

Anyway, Snow White is originally a German fairy tale that has been adapted into loads of different versions for TV and movies as well as theatre and even video games, maybe some of which I'll go away and play now that I've seen this.  Anyway, the version that people probably remember most is the Disney version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs


Even I remember watching this version as a young lad and I seem to have fond memories of it even though I remember exactly fuck all about it.  However what I can tell you is that Snow White and the Huntsman is COMPLETELY different, even from the original tale which I went and looked up on Wikipedia just to make sure I don't sound like an idiot after saying something like that.

I want to keep this "review" kind of brief and spoiler free, so I wont talk too much about the plot, but basically at the start of the film Snow White's kingdom gets its shit ruined by some woman who becomes the dark queen and snow white has to go on a quest to take it back.  If you've watched the Disney version or know the original tale, you'll probably find it's another version that twists the plot quite a bit, but there are so many versions of this thing around now that's not really a bad thing.

Anyway, is it any good? I would say yeah, it's not too shabby.   The set design is pretty good, when there is a battle they are usually well shot, the acting is also solid, which surprises me considering that chick who plays Bella in the Twilight movies is Snow White.  The movie makes use of CG for monsters and when people are throwing spells around but it never feels like too much, and when CG is used it's pretty impressive.

Sure, there are a couple of glaring plotholes that make me want to foam at the mouth and cry foul, but at the end of the day I'm watching a grimdark version of a fairy tale, so I suppose I can just sigh and let them slide in this case and at the end of the day, I had fun with this movie.  I didn't come out thinking it was anything amazing or something special, but it was entertaining and I'd say worth the money I paid for the ticket.

So check it out, you could probably do a lot worse than this movie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment